A poster I did for HELP's Law Department. A very picky client I must say, alot of changes here and there, and the people in that department is very VERY *sigh*... Owh, I did this for free, it was a favor to an old friend of mind. I think there were 8-10 different posters I did for this particular job. Took me almost a month to "kautim" THEIR desire, not mine.




This is their Law Review, me and a few others finished their copy writting and stuff like that. *zzZZzzz* Don't ask me how much I got paid for it. Notice how dull their cover looks like? Well, it HAS to be that way because according to them, Law is something SERIOUS. So, yeah, you have this Law Review in HELP University and College.




This is a Korean thingy where they were trying to promote their culture in Malaysia. No, am not a big fan of Korean thingy, but I like their instant ramen though *grins*. I did a full set of backdrop, buntings, posters and a newspaper ad for them. I think I got paid @ RM1,000 for all of those. It took me 3 days to finish off everything. It was a rush job, so it looks abit cacat, client didn't care much. Hahahah.




This is yeap, Cathay Cineplex, a very VERY typical Singaporean client. This is a newspaper ad found in the Star (north region only). I did for them their corporate leaflet (cacat), survey forms (cacat), menu on their snack bar screen and a tee. The tee didin't jadi, no budget they said. Dealt with them for (entire life) 2 months plus, kept changing... the nicer ones they reject, they wanted the so-so looking ones (cacat). I got paid RM1,000 for the menu, RM300 (i think) for the NEWS AD, leaflet and other etc, RM1,700. I got my pay after 3 months I gave them my soft copy.




I did this for a tendering job, the new Diamond & Platinum young range. I didn't get it. *smirks* Tendering it meant, I get to deal with their whole year event, from roadshows to fashion shows, latest collection identities and etc. Me and a friend proposed a very general proposal to this lady; who was at that time working for a company, before hopping off to D&P. She didn't come back to us, we guessed that she took our proposal and use it for herself. *gah, typical Malaysian*




This , you can find in a box attached to Dumex Mamil Gold milk powder. I think they did this promotion earlier this year in February. The box contains a book about science stuff, and little bits of things to experiment with. Also, a very hard to please client. It was my brother-in-law who tendered for this job, so I got paid @ RM1600 . Actual amount, I don't know. Anyway, he did more than me, hehehe, he had a hard time designing their box. I only did their booklets, which was 4 I think.



This was done for PayBillsMalaysia.com. Didn't approve my logo, instead, they choose something else which I personally think is *zzZZzzz*. You can go and check their website for that logo. Hornbill mascot was used because they were a Sarawakian company, hahaha, my "agent" told me so.




A bunting I did for Dutch Lady's roadshow in colleges. I think I finally got them nodding yes in 3 days. Paid me RM150 for a bunting and a ticket. Ah, nope I never got invited to the screening, hehehehe... I think they watched X-Men III and Mission Imposible III or II(?).


Being a freelance designer is cool you might say. Well, yeah, I get to deal with loads of prestigious client and all, BUT, it was way too tiring to handle their job. I had many sleepless nights, skipped period due to stress, had eyebags, back ache, bla bla and bla.

Client thinks that designing is easy, therefore, due date is like 5 hours from now. Worst, they don't take advices from your point of view (as a designer), you had to listen to their "creativity" because they are the ones paying you. And voila~ you have your artwork which is so not you, not to mention the pay is *yawn*. So, basically, you're just a robot who knows how to operate softwares like Illustrator and Photoshop, that's it. Whatever lecturing and knowledge you had in college is just for your own piece of mind. Also, this type of clients only apply to those who are in Malaysia. *grins* Who said customer is always right? Well yeah, but not all the time~! *knocks head, welcome to the real world*

I decided to quit my lifeless life half year ago. Now I'm stress-free from Illustrator and Photoshop, I have my beauty sleep every night *hehehe* and I have my periods monthly, well unless I'm "owh baby, mummy sing to you kay?". But of course at times, I do miss playing around with colors and shapes, swearing at my pc for jamming all of a sudden, admiring my work in original material, and using your hard earned money with passion!


17 comments:

Jason Phoon said...

ooh , i was a freelance web designer once too . and oh the job was terrible.

clients hire you not to ask for your creative input , instead they think they're designers and you end up being their "tool".

why not leave it to the experts eh ?

babybambee said...

yalor, sei mei~!! sad case rite? regret graduating from design, shud have done hotel management... ZZzzZZ

Calvin's Wife said...

Damn, LOL babybambee was me, i terkomen with my friend's nick... :P

Calv said...

hahaha

well look at it this way, u should feel special coz u can do something not many ppl can. so relax la. hahaha

time will come when u'll reap wat u sow
cheers girl, u're a wonderful person as u are ady

Calvin's Wife said...

oh wow, calv, first time i get nice words from you... hahaha, normally you kasi kutuk kao kao... :P, thank you for that compliment.. :) sweet...

CoCoNuTiCe said...

haa if ur missing ur photoshop and illustrator dabbling, u help me do my assignments la ;)

Calvin's Wife said...

I doe wan.. ur assignment is Flash, sumthing I've totally forgotten about dee.. hais.. kasi pening sama onion skin and time frame.. doe wan DOE WAN~!!

Calv said...

ya wo but u still ketuk me wan woh...haha

maybe it's the stress...hmmmm somehow i need to change the stratergy.

alexiolim said...

Haha.. ur poster really great la... to u maybe cacat... for common guy like us is great jor lor.

psstt... u better dont say cacat many time.. later ur client found out... hehe.

Johnny Ong said...

at least as a freelance designer, u'll get to control yr time apart from those clienteles' deadlines.

Calvin's Wife said...

Calv, :P hehe.. chill la bro.. *grins*

Alexiolim, ello.. shhh, u dun tell i dun tell no client knows lor, kih kih kih... anyway its true ma.. LOL

Johnny, hie there... :) well yeah, one good thing bout freelancing is u can reject any job u want at any time given.

Hor ny Ang Moh said...

Woah!!!So some of the ad we see everyday done by u. Nice & attractive. Have a nice day.

Huei said...

wow! they're all really nice!!! cool!!!

y regret graduating from design..i should've taken design!!! hehehe

Calvin's Wife said...

morning horniness and huei.. :P Actually i wouldn't mind continue doing my so called passion, but pay is way low and not worth the time spending. AND, you would seldom see me blog then, hahaha... and clubbing, and mamak-ing, and shopping... etc.. :P

Kenny Ng said...

Fuah! Now I only know u do design and it's very very good! You know my header also design by my friend who is a designer too.

zeezee said...

Nice!! no wonder ur blog is always pretty pretty n full of cute picture n illustrator.

Calvin's Wife said...

Arloo Kenny & zeezee, Owh, thank you thank you.. :P .. well yea, but i suck big time on dreamweaver LOL, this is the best layout i can come out with.. LOL